|Larry F. Gainen|
Construction & Design
Larry F. Gainen is one of the founding partners of the firm. He was an associate at Shea & Gould from 1975 through 1982. He then became a partner in the law firm of LePatner Gainen & Block from 1982 through the founding of the firm in 1989. He is admitted to the New York State Bar, and is a member of the bars of the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York and the Second and Seventh Circuit Courts of Appeals.
Larry's practice involves all aspects of representing the various participants in the construction and design process: architects, engineers, contractors, construction managers, and owners. Larry has tried numerous cases in state and federal court involving design and construction disputes; he has arbitrated and mediated many others. In addition, Larry specializes in negotiating and drafting construction and design agreements. He is also extensively involved in counseling the participants in the construction process in project management and the ongoing operation of their businesses.Representative Matters
- Represented an architectural firm in a matter which reconfirmed the standard of care that applies to the performance of professional services and the statute of limitations that applies to any claim in negligence and breach of contract relating to those professional services.
- Represented a Development Agency of the State of New York in connection with negotiating and drafting model agreements and agreements pertaining to three major capital projects.
- Represented over 100 architectural and engineering clients in connection with design agreements with owners on various projects.
- Represented numerous clients in the entertainment industry in negotiating and drafting construction related contracts.
- Represented many architectural firms defending against claims of negligent design, cost overruns and deficient construction administration.
- Represented a major architectural firm in the defense of a claim brought against it for negligent misrepresentation and fraud in connection with zoning advice.
- Represented a major architectural firm in connection with its claim that it was entitled to an equity interest in connection with a project on which it performed architectural services.
- Represented several developers of high end condominium projects in connection with allegations by tenant/shareholders of defective construction in their development.
- Represented partners in design professional firms in connection with litigation concerning the termination of the partnership.
- Represented numerous design professionals in connection with sales and acquisitions of design firms and internal plans of ownership transition.
- Represented design professionals in licensing investigations.
- Represented construction clients on all insurance matters including litigating coverage disputes.
United States Court of Appeals for the Second and Seventh Circuits
United States District Court for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
New York State Bar
J.D., New York University 1974
B.A., State University of New York at Binghamton 1968