|Dean G. Yuzek|
Dean G. Yuzek is a founding partner of the firm. He was a partner with the firm of Shea & Gould before participating in the formation of Ingram Yuzek. Dean focuses on complex commercial litigation and is admitted to practice in the Federal Courts for the Southern, Eastern and Northern Districts of New York, the District of New Jersey and the District of Columbia, the United States Court of Appeals for the Second and Third Circuits, and the Supreme Court of the United States, as well as the State Courts of New York. Since 1990, Dean has annually received the highest possible peer review rating for legal ability and ethical standards based on the confidential opinions of the Bar and the Judiciary. He is also rated by Super Lawyers.
- Represented Claimant Pangea Capital Management, LLC which received a 180-page Arbitration Award released by JAMS on January 4, 2016, rendered by Hon. Stephen G. Crane (Ret.), awarding Pangea damages against Respondent John R. Lakian, Pangea’s Co-Managing Member, for his “racketeering activities,” his ”scheme to defraud and pillage” Pangea and his “rampant self-dealing,” in the amounts of $11,972,408 for violating the RICO statute, $2,842,500 for fraud, $1,000,000 for punitive damages on fraud claims and $3,310,484 for breach of fiduciary duty, plus interest and all arbitration costs. Mr. Lakian, a sometime “talking head” on Fox Business News, had made unsuccessful bids to run for governor of Massachusetts in 1982 and for the U.S Senate in 1994, losing the Republican nomination for the Senate to Mitt Romney. Articles about this Award have appeared, among other places, in The Boston Globe and Securities Law360.
- Represented a national bank in an “all-or-nothing” $27 million contract case, through a successful jury verdict in Federal Court, involving an “affinity” credit-card program.
- Represented a leading international provider of fiber-based communications services in securing a Judgment ordering a multi-million-dollar refund of excessive taxes imposed on the provider's special franchise property.
- Represented the owner of a landmark building, through a successful jury verdict in New York State Court and subsequent appeals, establishing for the first time in New York the right of an insured, even though adequately covered against compensatory claims, to recover against an insurance company for its bad-faith refusal to settle where the policyholder was unnecessarily and wrongfully exposed to the possibility of a punitive damage award.
- Represented the owner of a major office building in litigation against a prominent Bank regarding its extensive removal, repair and restoration obligations with respect to approximately 800,000 square feet of premises at the Bank’s former world headquarters in New York City upon the expiration of its long-term lease. The case settled favorably for our client on the eve of trial following extensive discovery and multiple interlocutory appeals.
- Represented a former Named Executive Officer of a multi-billion-dollar corporation in a breach of contract action against his former employer in Federal District Court for the Southern District of New York.
- Represented a New York Bank wrongly accused of fraud in connection with the sale of mortgage-backed securities. This multi-million dollar claim in New York State Court was discontinued in the midst of trial, before the conclusion of plaintiff’s direct case, following the cross-examination of its key party and non-party witnesses.
- Represented a New York State Court Judge in proceedings before the New York State Commission on Judicial Conduct.
Supreme Court of the United States
United States Court of Appeals for the Second and Third Circuits
United States District Court for the Southern, Eastern and Northern Districts of New York
United States District Court for the District of New Jersey
United States District Court for the District of Columbia
New York State Courts
J.D., New York University, 1975
B.A., Brandeis University, magna cum laude, 1972