|Warren E. Friss|
Corporate & Commercial
General Counsel Group
Warren provides clients with a uniquely business-minded approach to the provision of legal services, leveraging more than 25 years of experience in private practice, as General Counsel to a public company and as a senior business executive. He is responsive, client-oriented and guides clients in a cost-efficient manner.
As the leader of Ingram’s corporate practice, Warren represents public and privately-held companies, not-for-profits, entrepreneurs, investors and senior executives in a broad spectrum of matters including contract negotiations, mergers and acquisitions, entity and business formation, private placements, joint ventures and strategic alliances, employment law and debt financing. His clients operate domestically and abroad and represent the full range of the business life cycle, from start-ups to established public companies.
Warren represents many small to medium-sized private companies in ownership restructurings and transitions.
Warren has substantial expertise working with sports leagues, players’ associations and consumer product companies in licensing, sponsorships & promotions, personality rights and intellectual property matters.
Prior to re-joining Ingram as a partner, Warren spent many years at The Topps Company. As General Counsel, he managed the company’s legal and compliance function, overseeing all contract negotiations, corporate and financing transactions, mergers and acquisitions, commercial litigation, intellectual property and HR and employment law matters. In addition to his legal work, Warren launched the Topps Internet Division and subsequently led the Sports & Entertainment Division where he was responsible for the division’s profit and loss and all business functions.
A frequent author, speaker and media commentator on corporate law issues, Warren is regularly called upon to address issues involving the intersection of sports and business.
- Represented Jet.com in the purchase of Hukkster.com.
- Represented Ad Agency SS+K in a transaction with M&C Saatchi.
- Negotiated and drafted dozens of license agreements with major sports and entertainment companies, including MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL, WWE, Lucasfilm, Disney, Nickelodeon, Universal, and Marvel.
- Provided advice to consumer product companies and start-ups on all trademark and copyright issues; involved in patent applications and appeals.
- Drafted and negotiated agreements with clients’ third party business partners including: manufacturers; product developers; designers; artists; consultants; advertising agencies; distributors; retail chains; movie studios; sports leagues; celebrities; athletes.
- Settled several major litigations, including a Federal RICO action, an unfair labor practices claim related to a plant shutdown, and an antitrust action brought by the European Commission.
- Guided numerous clients through the broad spectrum of employee and HR matters including employment agreements with executives; severance and termination arrangements; incentive plans; bonus plans; downsizing and terminations.
NYPL Business Plan Competition
March 26, 2014
March 6, 2014
Five Elements of a Successful Licensing Deal
LIMA Bottom Line Newsletter
April 30, 2013
Firm Represents Backstage.com in Acquisition
February 26, 2013
CFO Alliance Webinar
The CFOs Guide to Controlling Legal Fees
Innovation Enterprise Seminar
CFO Risk Management Summit
Ingram Seminar Series
Taking Control of Legal Fees: Strategies & Tips from the Inside
New York Law Journal Webinar
Impact of Accounting Reforms on Partnerships
Washington University in St. Louis
How to get a Job in Sports